Monday, April 5, 2010

GRASPing Tightly Everyday!

My mother and I were fortunate enough to have had lunch this past Saturday with a very amazing lady, Denise Cullen. Denise's son Jeff suffered a long battle with substance abuse addiction and very tragically died in August of 2009. Her experience with Jeff's addiction and her own career as a medical and clinical social worker have both greatly contributed to her current endeavor as the new director of national foundation, GRASP (Grief Recovering After a Substance Passing). During our afternoon with Denise we were able to share stories and through our time together I truly felt like I had made a new friend!

There are currently 12 GRASP groups throughout the nation. Only 12! That's not many at all especially when you consider the amount of addicted people there are in this country. So I'm going to do my part and start an LA chapter. I'm hoping that I'll have some support from the locals - there are 9 million of them!

Just wanted to share :) I'm really excited.

1 comment:

Krysta said...

Hey Chels!
Long time no talk..I was just catching up on your blog and wanted tell you that it's awesome that you are going to start an LA chapter. Good for you and way to do your part! Hope all is well :)