Sunday, September 26, 2010

New Disease: Law Enforcement Egotism

I live in a state that has very strict legalities when it comes to driving. I understand that the point of having police officers is to enforce the law, but when it goes from upholding safety on the road to unvalidated accusations against careful drivers hasn't it gone too gar? Texting/talking and driving is hugely distracting, no doubt. But there is no law that says you cannot have your phone accessible to you in your own vehicle, should you happen to receive/need to make a call during your trip. I went to Costco a few weeks ago and purchased one of those Bluetooth speakers so I don't have to wear that annoying thing in my ear. Most people are actively taking measures to use their mobile phones while driving but in a safe manor. Including me...and I almost got a ticket for it!

I was just driving home from my friend, Wendy's house. About 3 blocks from my apartment this cop pulls up next to me. As he pulls up next to me I was ironically plugging my phone into the charger. So thinking I'm using it he yells out the window "hey, you need to stop texting or I'll pull your ass over!" He proceeded to follow me down the street screaming out the window at me. I couldn't believe this guy. Obviously during some course of my journey I'm going to be touching my phone - either to turn the sound off when ringing, charging it, seeing who's calling or moving it - whatever the case may be! Why does it automatically have to be thought of as texting because I'm simply touching my cell phone. I'm touching my diet coke too! I see people driving around all day with their phones glued to their ears and never getting as much as a slap on the wrist. But because I'm young and driving with my windows down and music up, I'm automatically violating the law?! That's fucking stupid.

So as I'm pulling into the alley, he follows me and I just stopped to try and defend myself. He proceeds to yell at me and I said to him, "how can you just accuse someone of texting and driving without actually seeing it happen. I was plugging my phone into the charger and I can prove it to you because you will see no texts sent or received within the last 20 minutes that I was operating my vehicle." He goes, "How do I know you weren't trying to send out a text message?" I said, "You can't just assume that! It's unlawful of you because you don't have just cause or proof." I was desperately biting my tongue, I wanted to ream this guy a new one. So being me I had to get a little last push in so he'd remember me, so I said "don't you think the drug dealers and rapists down the street deserve a bit more of your valuable time than a random girl touching her cell phone?" He said, "i hope I don't encounter you again - next time I won't be so generous."

HAHA! Fucking Po Po's. This is LA - they don't pay you to waste your time instilling the fear in people. Go pull over someone driving high or drunk! Don't waste your time on the intelligent, you aren't fooling anyone!

No comments: