Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Controversial Chelsea is at it again

Just like anything we humans believe, the root of the particular ideal started as a story told by someone to someone else which was told to that someone by another somebody else and so on and back and back until the story's creation. Even the tale of Jesus Christ was written down and described by multiple people to develop into the life of Christ that thousands of people around the world wordship and know to be the foundation of their lives today. "Jesus died for your sins" - so you keep on sinning. "Mary was a virgin" - so you have to be until marriage. "Jesus understands your pain" - okay he walked during a time we no longer exist in and which not one person from 2009 could function normally living in on a day to day basis (now we have deeper problems like poverty, pollution, addiction, the list goes on - and WWJD? He hadn't even scratched the surface during his time). On that same token, some theorists argue that the idea of religion is based upon fables meant to keep order in societies. Same with the idea of heaven and hell. If you do sin, you will burn in the fiery pits of hell. If you do good and don't lie, cheat, steal, adulterate, disrespect, and so on and so forth, you will go to heaven and live blissfully on a cloud for eternity.

As children we formulate what is right and wrong, true and false, here and there based upon the tellings of our parents, teachers and elders - but mainly our parents. From the get go we are lead to believe in one thing over another. Is that right? As humans, aren't we given the option of free will? The Bible says so. The Torah says so. The Koran says so. So then why are parents all over the world instilling ideas that are mere possibilities into the fresh minds of their children? Do we want our children to discover life and think for themselves or to be followers willing to believe anything they hear in order to be accepted into a group?

As an independent person, tride and true, I am reluctant to say that when I have children, they will be Jewish or Catholic even though I was raised in a Jewish household with touches of Catholicism. I'm in my mid 20's andI don't follow either religion. I haven't been to synagogue in like 3 years. The last time I was in Church was to honor my brother's life because a particular Mass was dedicated to him. That was last year. I'm not going to Church on Christmas. I didn't go on Thanksgiving. I'm not getting married in one. I don't know what I believe, but I was lucky enough to have two parents who didn't jam religion down my throat. There are many cultures that embody religion from birth til death and in which questioning faith is a sin and may result in damnation or even death. Who am I to judge those particular cultures? Unfortunately, we live in a world which thrives upon judgements which is ironic because isn't the only real judge God, as they say.

I'm being very skeptical and controversial because that's what happens to me during this time of year, every year. At Christmastime I always ponder its purpose. I always ask myself, "why am I celebrating a holiday that I don't believe in?" I may not believe in a parents right to mold a belief system. But I do know the answer to my own ponderings... I would rather spend a day giving from my heart, spending quality time, laughing, rejoicing, eating, drinking, talking, playing and BELIEVING in the one thing I know exists....my family.

No comments: