Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Movie Review: 500 Days of Summer

I totally have a crush on Joseph Gordon-Levitt after checking this one out. He's a cutie, but in a more manly way than his teeny film era self i.e. 10 Things I Hate About You. Not to say he wasn't bodacious-ish then - just hadn't grown into his full hot self yet. But about the movie (haha)...I wasn't overwhelmingly into it but I'll keep it positive because I have a good feeling about it overall.

The story line worked for me for a few reasons. First of all, it was interesting to look at a dating stereotype flipped around. We have Summer, played by the fabulous Zooey Deschanel, as the heroine - and I literally mean that she was Tom's (played by J.G.L - I'm abbreviating, I don't want to type it out every time) heroin, as in the drug. She isn't into the relationship thing and Tom definitely is. He's the typical romantic guy, fighting for love and getting suckered into falling for the one girl he could never have. Summer was pretty out-and-out about her intentions for her relationship with Tom. She was upfront with him about her issues with titles and hangups about love, but she carried on intimacy, spent quality time with him and let down her walls with him. So she did lead him on and let the love grow one-sided (and she knew it too).

The acting was great from J.G.L. I wasn't entirely impressed with Zooey in this one but I still think she's incredibly talented and you can't help but appreciate the female lead choice. She's cute as a button. Ideally, the director could have sorted this one out chronologically, but he chose back tracks and flash forwards in a perfectly random order throughout...you guessed it...500 days. I think it made this simple romantic jaunt more intriguing to view. It kept me guessing. During the scene where she is "letting down her walls," I was for sure she was going to hang up her hangups the next day. But then there were simpler scenes like the "Ringo Starr" record moment. She basically rolls her eyes at him which made me think she thought he was a bit ridiculous. The marriage thing I never saw coming. I was surprised mainly because I felt bad for poor Tommy. I would feel sad for myself as well. Knowing that the person I loved couldn't be with me because he didn't want to be in a relationship with me but would with someone else that he met when he was romantically involved wtih me - yea, time to call my therapist.

The ending was nice and hopeful as Tom moved from Summer into "Autumn." I liked it. Overall, I'll give it 3.5 out of 5 Kraft Mac & Cheese boxes. I use the rating scale as such because Kraft Mac & Cheese is my favorite food and I may or may not be having a craving for it right now. I'll let you tell me which one it is ;) Also, the star is getting a bit boring. I'm over it.

No comments: